A lot of banking customers have approached us about how to stop junk mail from Discover.
Like many financial institutions, Discover sends customers and non-customers alike lots of unwanted marketing material.
Well, did you know in just a few simple steps you can opt out of Discover direct mail? The process below can help you put a stop to junk mail once and for all.
What type of junk mail Discover sends
Discover is a credit card company that operates in the U.S. If you are a Discover customer, you probably receive account statements and related information through the mail.
If you’re a customer and want to go paperless with Discover, simply click here.
However, Discover also sends junk mail to prospective customers. This is usually in the form of pre-approved credit card offers, offers for cash rewards, as well as other marketing.
How to unsubscribe from Discover’s mailing list
Discover suggests that you contact them by phone to unsubscribe from their mailing list and stop receiving marketing information.
- Call 1-800-347-2683 to speak to Discover’s customer service team, and request to remove your information from their mailing list.
- As an additional step, remove your information from mailing lists via OptOutPrescreen.com. The official Consumer Credit Reporting Industry site, it’s responsible for sharing your information with numerous credit card companies.
How long it takes to stop receiving mail from Discover
Discover doesn’t formally provide a timeframe for their opt-out process.
But, in our experience, you could still receive Discover junk mail for up to 6 weeks after you’ve processed an opt-out request.
What to do after opting out if Discover mail keeps coming
There’s nothing more frustrating than a marketing opt-out request not being honored. If this is your experience with Discover, there’s a few further actions you can take.
- First, try to send unopened junk mail back to Discover. If there’s a return address, write “Refused: Return To Sender” on the front and drop it back in the mail.
- Make a formal complaint by calling 1-800-347-2683. Or write to them by mail at Discover Financial Services, P.O. Box 30943, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0943.
- Reach out to OptOutPrescreen once again if you still receive junk mail. You can call 1-888-567-8688, or contact them by mail.
How to stay off Discover’s mailing list
Most importantly, remember to refuse consent to any future marketing from Discover. Keep it in mind every time you interact with them via phone or email.
But, most likely that won’t be enough. Take your personal information security one step further by stopping third-party data brokers from sharing your data in the first place.
There are hundreds of data brokers operating in the U.S. at any given time, and in addition to junk mail, you may receive countless robocalls and spam texts as a result.
Removing your information from every data-broker platform is a vital step to stop all forms of junk mail from most companies and institutions.
But it’s also a very time-consuming process. So why not let DeleteMe do it for you?
DeleteMe has over a decade of experience removing data from data-broker platforms. For as little as $10.75 a month, we’ve helped millions of customers instantly reduce the amount of junk mail they receive.
Find out more about how DeleteMe can help by clicking here.
Don’t have the time?
DeleteMe is our premium privacy service that removes you from more than 30 data brokers like Whitepages, Spokeo, BeenVerified, plus many more.
Save 20% on DeleteMe when you use the code DIYPRIVACY.