What is the National Do Not Call Registry?
The National Do Not Call Registry is a database run by the Federal Trade Commission meant to help individuals reduce the number of unwanted sales calls they receive. Most legitimate companies don’t call if your number is on the Registry. If a company is ignoring the Registry, there’s a good chance that it’s a scam.
How to Sign Up for the National Do Not Call Registry
1. Go to https://donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx. Click “Register Here”.
2. Put your phone number(s) to add them to the registry. You must put an email to confirm your request. Click “Submit”.
3. Check that your information is correct and click “Register”.
4. Go to your email and click on the link that was sent. You will receive a separate email for each phone number that you have registered.
5. Your phone number(s) will be added to the registry.
I’m still receiving unwanted calls.
As we mentioned above, if a company is ignoring the Registry, there’s a good chance that it’s a scam. If you get these calls, hang up and file a complaint with the FTC. You can protect yourself from scam phone calls by making sure that your phone number cannot be easily found on data broker websites. Use our DIY Opt-Out Guide or DeleteMe service to remove your personal information from the internet.